Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The Boss Doesn't Disappoint


Last night Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band put on an amazing performance at St. Paul’s Excel Energy Center. With no opening act, he caught us off-guard, and we had to run for our seats as not to miss a minute of the show. 
Now, I’m not a huge Bruce Springsteen fan but as far as I’m concerned, he’s a legend in his own time and one of those artists who I’ve always wanted to see perform live. My husband would be the Springsteen die-hard so he was right at home with all of the other committed fans who packed the Excel. 
I only really recognized about a quarter of the songs he played but what an amazing performer for someone who is pushing 60! His voice is just as powerful as it was back in the 80s. He had the crowd on their feet and singing at the top of their lungs to “Born to Run” and again to “Rosalita” as part of his hour-long encore after playing a nearly 2-hour set. 
When he broke into “Waiting on a Sunny Day” the memories came rushing back. I’m particularly partial to that 2002 album “The Rising.” It reminds me of driving around Maine during a weeklong stay on Great Pond in August of 2002. The album had just come out and we played it all the way from Boston up to Augusta, Maine in a rented Chevy Blazer. It was so hot. There was no air conditioning in our house. I was pregnant. Need I say more. It brings back happy memories of an incredibly fun week with friends who are just like family. But I digress, he did play three songs off of “The Rising” which made the night perfect for me. That and when someone in the audience gave him a Green Bay Packers cheesehead. Gotta love those Packer’s fans!
If you get the chance, see The Boss live in concert as he puts his heart and soul into his music.


No comments:

Post a Comment